Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Picture book of the month (for March)

Orani, my father's village by Claire A. Nivola
The story of a young girl who goes back to an island off Italy's coast each year with her family to visit her father's relatives. This is a great story to share with immigrant children, as it addresses the need to stay connected with the home country and the home culture. I shared this with an Italian friend and found out the Italian words used were written in authentic dialect from that area of Italy. I loved the connection between generations in this story. Very nice!

2 comments:

  1. What age group would you say this book is appropriate for? My Kindergarten students would love a story like this. Most of them are from immigrant families and a lot of their grandparents still live in their 'home country'. Some of them are fortunate enough to get to visit during breaks and summers. We are also doing a unit the next couple weeks as a part of our transportation unit about other countries and cultures and sharing our family's culture with the class. I will order this book if you think the level is okay for Kinder students!

    Thanks!!!
    Krista Stancati

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Krista,
      It's hard to say, but I think you could read this to Kindergarten children. I gave the book away, so don't have it right in front of me, but from what I remember, the little girl goes to several different places while she is visiting Orani. There is a funeral, but it is not overplayed. There is much about the food and preparation and playing with cousins. I think it would be good for those who go back and forth between two countries. Let me know if you try it.

      Delete